Zaostrog is mentioned for the first time in Turkish and in Croatian in 1494, in a hudžet (record) of the Drina qadi (kadijah) Hamza. Later on, Zaostrog is mentioned quite often, particularly in Turkish sources. Sometimes we encounter irregular forms such as Zastrog or Zastrug, as in the aforementioned hudžet.
After the Second World War and especially after the earthquake of 1962, almost all the inhabitants moved in the end, so now the newer settlement by the sea is also called Zaostrog, although Pod-Zaostrog (pod=under) or even better Podostrog would be geographically more correct. Nowadays the village has around 350 inhabitants, while in winter only some 120 (as many of them go to Zagreb or Split to stay with their children).
* More information in the audio guide