Ever since its founding the monastery has had a mainly spiritual, religious role among its allotted folk. At the times when there were no monasteries in Makarska and in Živogošće, the scope of work of the Monastery of Zaostrog was a lot wider. In 1599, it comprised the area from Drvenik to the mouth of the river Neretva, after which the entire Vrgorac and Narentine area on the right shore of Neretva, as well as Herzegovina along with Tihaljina, Veljaci, Grljevići, Ljubuški, Međugorje and Čitluk.
The monastery's pastoral scope of work comprises the following ten Franciscan parishes: Drvenik, Zaostrog, Podaca, Brist, Gradac (former Lapčanj), Baćina, Stablina-Plina, Vrgorac, Staševica and Metković on the left bank of the Neretva river (St. Ilija).
* More information in the audio guide