The Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (the monastery church)
At the very beginning, in the 15th century - the Augustinian monks celebrated liturgy in the small church which is the area of today’s sacristy (the area behind the altar). During the War of Cyprus (1570-1573), the church was considerably damaged, but in 1589 already it was reconstructed testimony to which bears the inscription written in Croatian Cyrillic above the main entrance door of the church. The church also suffered damage during the War of Candia (Cretan War, also known as the Fifth Ottoman – Venetian War 1645 - 1669), but it was quickly repaired, thus in 1672 the German writer Gumppenberg mentions in his Atlas of Marian shrines (Atlas Marianus) Zaostrog as one of the biggest shrines in southern Europe.
The construction of a new, big church began in 1707; it was completed in 1747 (according to the inscription inscribed on the front wall of the church above the door).
* More information in the audio guide